Joint Presidents’ Reception 2023
Past President Susan Ball, with all this year’s CIOT and ATT award winners
CIOT and ATT presidents Gary Ashford and Simon Groom thanked members, staff and volunteers of both organisations at the Joint Presidents’ Reception, held at the Design Museum in London on 28 September.
Those who attended included guests from HMRC and senior representatives from other professional bodies, as well as leading individuals from the tax profession. Following speeches, guests were invited to see the museum’s new exhibition: ‘REBEL: 30 years of London fashion’.
Addressing the reception, Gary said: ‘Whether you are a staff member, a volunteer or from one of our partner organisations, you are part of the CIOT-ATT family and part of our success. Working together, we’ve had another great year. The Institute has continued to develop and grow. We’re now on the brink of 20,000 members, so watch this space!’
Simon Groom added: ‘The last 12 months have been another year of growth and achievement for ATT. Top of the list has to be picking up the prestigious award for Outstanding Contribution to Taxation by a Not-for-profit Organisation at this year’s Taxation Awards.
‘We’ve also developed lesson plans and videos which volunteers can use in schools to both promote tax as a career, and educate children as to why tax is important.’
Institute President Gary Ashford handed out three Certificates of Merit at the reception. CIOT grants these in recognition of exceptional service to the Institute. They were awarded to:
- Jo Routier, for service to the Joint Branches Sub Committee, Jersey Branch committee and the Branch Network;
- Zoe Roberts, for service to the Joint Branches Sub Committee, Sheffield Branch and the Branch Network; and
- Shan Sun, for her work developing the new Diploma in Tax Technology.
Gary also presented a commemorative scroll to predecessor Susan Ball, who served as President in 2022/23.
Association President Simon Groom presented Certificates of Appreciation to:
- Becky Foley, for service to the Bristol Branch;
- Stuart Jessop, for service to the Sussex Branch;
- Harry Ross, for service to the Harrow and North London Branch;
- Divya Malde, for service to the Harrow and North London Branch; and
- Anne Clark, for service to the Harrow and North London Branch.